Tuesday, February 5, 2008

what I've been up to

I've been so excited since I found out I'm going to Fiji. This whole process from application to departure has taken so long, but now that it's February, I feel like I'm running out of time! My Dad and I decided to take our promised "trip to anywhere in the world that I want to go" before I leave for the Peace Corps. So we're going to the Galapagos Islands for two weeks in March (one of my friends described it as "every biology nerd's dream"). Being a world travel addict, I couldn't justify going all the way to Ecuador for just two weeks, so I'm staying for five weeks. That should get me back to California at the beginning of April, just in time for one month of working as many hours as I can while packing and getting rid of all the stuff I won't need for the next 2 years. But before I leave for Ecuador, the Peace Corps has a list of things for me to do: get a new "government" passport, write a new resume, write a five part "aspiration statement," and write a press release. I'm sure that once I finish all of that, they'll have another list form me.

Completely unrelated topic: the presidential primaries. I'm a little sad that I'm going to miss the election in November. I've had so much fun following the campaigns and elections for both parties. It's been so exciting. "They" talk about how the young people are more involved in this election than they have been ever before, and I can testify to that. Tomorrow is "Super Tuesday" and I can't wait to see how everything unfolds.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be seeing you at staging! My name is John Leonard. My wife and I have been invited to Fiji. We will both be working on the Integrated Environmental Resources Management Project as well. If you get a chance, send me an email at jpleonard2000@yahoo.com.

Anonymous said...

You might want to do some research before you have to take the assignment. I think your allowed one refusal.

Fiji was taken over in a military coup and the democratic government was destroyed. The sanctions and US security waivers for peace Corps may affect your classification. PCVs are all classified, but they may have cleared PCVs in country above that level since the coup. You may want to do a FOIA before you go over and when you get back. We used to do this as part of the application.

Anyway, Fiji is supposed to be real nice. Good luck!!

RPCV

Anonymous said...

Hello, it's so nice to meet you. My name is Alisha and I will also be leaving May 18th leaving for Fiji. I will be working in the Community Development and Health Program. I am very excited as well about Fiji and I can't wait to meet you. I am going through exactly what you are right now. I am re-typing my resume and doing the statement. I am trying to gather stuff to pack and not pack. I am original from West Virginia, but the past five years I have lived in Charlotte, North Carolina. I hope your travels before leaving are fun and let me know if you want to compare packing lists and fun stuff like that.

Alisha Duffield

Rhiannon said...

Just wanted to give you a heads up that you can feel free to bug me with any questions you might have.
I'm a current PCV in Fiji

Rhiannon
aka "Riya"
www.kiribatipcv.blogspot.com

nancy said...

Happy Easter!!! Hope you're having a great time! Think of you every day- send me an e-mail or update your blog so I know you're ok. Love, Mom