Friday, June 27, 2008

letters and phone calls

I just got my first letter a couple of days ago from my grandparents and it was so nice so please keep the letters coming! Also, I was unable to "unlock" my cell phone from the states so I bought a new mobile (that's what they call cell phones here). It turns out that The US is one of the only countries in the world that charges you to receive calls and text messages. In Fiji I only have to pay to make a call or send a message. Also, it costs the same to send a message to the states as it does to send a message in Fiji, 20 cents a message. So feel free to call me or text me if you can figure out the international code system. My number is 8353 763. Everyone says Fiji has really good cell phone coverage and so far it's been true. Dad, I never received your text so try again. Oh yeah and Mom, I payed my credit card online so don't worry about that bill.

We find out our sites next Friday and we're all so excited. We've all been trying to get hints and clues from the staff to try and figure it out on our own. I did find out that I am one of the 5 trainees who will be getting marine assignments so that's good to know. However, the two islands that I really wanted to go to (Kadavu and Taveuni) are off limits to female volunteers for "safety and security" reasons. So I'm a little disappointed, but only a little because there are so many great places in Fiji. Once we get our site assignments, then we'll meet our counterpart (a member of the community that we'll be working closely with for our project) and the two of us will travel to the site to check it out for one week. Then we'll come back to our training villages.

I have to go so sorry no culture lessons this time. Also, pictures will probably have to wait until I leave my training village. My computer is out of power and my family only has one outlet and it's in the main room of the house and I really don't like using my computer in front of them. Sota tale (until we meet again).

1 comment:

Daryl said...

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know that I printed your 3 entries since you have been there and will be mailingn them to G&G. Also, I'll work on the solution for texting and if I figure it out, I'll post a comment so others can see.

Love,

D.